Comments
Help Define the State of Analytics Today
View Comments: Newest First | Oldest First | Threaded View
Re: Yes, please update
  • 4/13/2015 11:50:46 AM
NO RATINGS

This makes me think that some fo the survey results are skewed by what people think analytics are. The definition likely vaires based on how much knowledge and experience you have.

Re: Yes, please update
  • 4/11/2015 8:59:38 PM
NO RATINGS

Great point, Terry.  Yes, we are thinking it is probably time for a re-branding.  And people's reasponses to the survey help to show the trends in the words we use to descibe our work.  Some peopel used to call it "knowledge discovery" or "applied statistics".  Then the term "data mining" came, got unfortunately associated in people's minds with privacy invasion, and we saw that term slip away.  The 2013 survey people showed a splintered set of labels.  The most common was 17% of respondents considered themselves to be "Data Scientists".  15% called themselves "Researchers", 12% "Data Analytists", and it went down from there.  We'll wait and see what is found in the 2015 survey -- but if I had to guess, I'd say that probably the term "Data Scientist" will gain in popularity.  Please particulate in the 2015 survey and tell us your views on this question and many others.

Thanks

-- Karl Rexer

Completing the Analytical Cycle Seems to be the Hardest Part
  • 4/11/2015 6:28:53 PM
NO RATINGS

"One of the most puzzling aspects of model deployment is how often organizations fail to follow-up to determine whether models have been effective"

 

Interesting.   It appears that completing the Analytical cycle is still a problem. What is the reason for this ?    Why go 90% and leave the remaining 10% open to ruining all of the previous effort ?

We talk about "company buy in" but this aspect of it is far too common.  Which leads me to believe most companies are (still) not really serious about their efforts, willing to run with findings that have not be completely verified -  otherwise situations such as that described would not be relevant.

Yes, please update
  • 4/11/2015 4:13:58 PM
NO RATINGS

"1995 called and it wants its Netscape browser back."

"Data mining"? I think you're right to call that out. It's about as leading edge as a clamshell mobile phone.



INFORMATION RESOURCES
ANALYTICS IN ACTION
CARTERTOONS
VIEW ALL +
QUICK POLL
VIEW ALL +