Comments
AI, Machine Learning: The View from Intel's Chief Data Scientist
View Comments: Newest First | Oldest First | Threaded View
Page 1 / 2   >   >>
Re: The Many Faces of Intel
  • 11/22/2017 9:58:32 AM
NO RATINGS

I'm not selling higher education or Liberal Arts degrees, but I will say that there is some usefulness in them depending on the individual for proving that an individual has the capacity to learn and think in different facets.  To me seeing the wide range of subjects that this individual has worked with tells me that they are able to take what they know and apply it to different situations but only because the base has been analytics.  Had they switched careers say finance to CIS to Analytics as they shifted subject matter then I'd worry about the jumps.  Trying not get too far off subject when I see a Liberal Arts degree with hops all around in the core competencies of what would be 3-4 career tracts I worry about their ability to apply themselves and their skills.

Re: The Many Faces of Intel
  • 11/21/2017 10:27:47 AM
NO RATINGS

Yes, it brings up the age old question of should folks be muli-talented in lots of areas or specialize in one unique field through their earlier leaning years. The idea of a liberal arts education once again becomes a question that may be important in coming years.

Re: The Many Faces of Intel
  • 11/13/2017 8:37:07 AM
NO RATINGS

@kq4ym, it is funny to see the backgrounds and what the data scientists specialize in as they move through their careers.  Maybe I can't see the similarities between hedge funds and glaucoma but I'm sure there are enough that as the skill sets are applied the disparate backgrounds help to round out their career. 

Re: The Many Faces of Intel
  • 11/11/2017 9:55:04 AM
NO RATINGS

And with a chief scientist with backgrounds in "black holes, hedge funds, and glaucoma," one could guess this fellow has some very interesting things to say and maybe preview about Intel's efforts coming in AI and machine learning.

Re: The Many Faces of Intel
  • 11/2/2017 9:22:09 AM
NO RATINGS

@Lyndo_Henry Actually All AI or All Automation would be a great brand name.

Re: The Many Faces of Intel
  • 11/2/2017 8:35:23 AM
NO RATINGS

I think "everyone" seems to be doing AI with big data due to the fact that 80% of big data is cleaning up the data and the other 20% is cleaning up the data.  There is a lot of work to do making sure you're not reporting on garbage.  Using AIs to comb through data sure beats humans going blind trying to figure out what is going on when datasets just don't look right, or they have large chunks of data missing.  No matter how good a human analyst is a machine can read through the data exponentially faster especially if they are given multiple models to run.  

Re: The Many Faces of Intel
  • 11/1/2017 10:56:09 PM
NO RATINGS

Ariella writes

... it's the primary buzz term of the . quarter, year, whatever, I'd say, supplanting the term that previously held that distinction. Big Data did hold on for a number of years, though.

Makes me wonder if we will see a rebranding of All Analytics into All AI ...

 

Re: The Many Faces of Intel
  • 11/1/2017 2:01:37 PM
NO RATINGS

@Terry Yes, it's the primary buzz term of the . quarter, year, whatever, I'd say, supplanting the term that previously held that distinction. Big Data did hold on for a number of years, though.

Re: The Many Faces of Intel
  • 11/1/2017 12:56:17 PM
NO RATINGS

In re "...everyone seems to be taking big data toward AI these days."

They certainly are in their marketing! I guess you can only bang the drum about IoT for 6-8 straight quarters til it's time to switch ponies. We've crossed over into All Things AI & Machine Learning, since that's what coveted customers apparently expect to see from the hungriest vendors.

Re: The Many Faces of Intel
  • 11/1/2017 12:50:08 PM
NO RATINGS

@SaneIt not everyone is doing all the hot new things like mixed reality, but almost everyone seems to be taking big data toward AI these days.

Page 1 / 2   >   >>


INFORMATION RESOURCES
ANALYTICS IN ACTION
CARTERTOONS
VIEW ALL +
QUICK POLL
VIEW ALL +